Sunday, March 1, 2009

Union Square

Union Square

    WITH the man I love who loves me not,
    I walked in the street-lamps' flare;
    We watched the world go home that night
    In a flood through Union Square.

    I leaned to catch the words he said
    That were light as a snowflake falling;
    Ah well that he never leaned to hear
    The words my heart was calling.

    And on we walked and on we walked
    Past the fiery lights of the picture shows --
    Where the girls with thirsty eyes go by
    On the errand each man knows.

    And on we walked and on we walked,
    At the door at last we said good-bye;
    I knew by his smile he had not heard
    My heart's unuttered cry.

    With the man I love who loves me not
    I walked in the street-lamps' flare --
    But oh, the girls who can ask for love
    In the lights of Union Square.
By Sara Teasdale, of course. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret

You are the secret my heart holds silently, quietly, gleefully. When life erupts around me or tu...