Saturday, March 28, 2009

She is not beautiful

Sometimes you might love someone who frowns more than smiles...... For the youngsters out there, "fair" in this poem refers to beauty. "She is not fair to outward view" = she's not beautiful in appearance.

She is not fair to outward view

    SHE is not fair to outward view,
    As many maidens be,
    Her loveliness I never knew
    Until she smiled on me:
    O, then I saw her eye was bright, --
    A well of love, a spring of light.

    But now her looks are coy and cold;
    To mine they never reply;
    And yet I cease not to behold,
    The love-light in her eye:
    Her very frowns are better far
    Than smiles of other maidens are!

    Hartley Coleridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret

You are the secret my heart holds silently, quietly, gleefully. When life erupts around me or tu...