Saturday, June 18, 2016

Sonnet VII





VII


When I too long have looked upon your face,

Wherein for me a brightness unobscured

Save by the mists of brightness has its place,

And terrible beauty not to be endured,

I turn away reluctant from your light,

And stand irresolute, a mind undone,

A silly, dazzled thing deprived of sight

From having looked too long upon the sun.

Then is my daily life a narrow room

In which a little while, uncertainly,

Surrounded by impenetrable gloom,

Among familiar things grown strange to me

Making my way, I pause, and feel, and hark,

Till I become accustomed to the dark.

                                        Edna St. Vincent Millay

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret

You are the secret my heart holds silently, quietly, gleefully. When life erupts around me or tu...